Yorkshire is called God’s Own County for a reason, it has everything you need! From stunning countryside to vibrant cities, it really does have it all. So for English Tourism, we’re celebrating all the amazing places that Yorkshire has to offer. In the first of two blogs, we’re exploring all the incredible countryside of our county.
North York Moors
Over 1400 miles of natural beauty including heather moorland (which turn purple in late summer), pine forests, rolling hills and wildlife. Picturesque and tranquil with historic abbeys, castles, priories, and traditional pubs. Fun acitivties for the whole family include walking, cycling and horse riding. Best towns in the region: Guisborough, Helmsley, Pickering, Rosedale Abbey and Stokesley.
Exoplore the stunning scenery in the Yorkshire Dales National Park and Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The southern Dales are less remote, whilst the northern Dales have rugged scenery ideal for walking, and the West offers pretty villages and towns. Best towns in the region: Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Richmond, Settle, Malham, Ingleton, Wensleydale, Masham and Leyburn.
- Robin Hood’s Bay: the most raw of the coastlines, with towering cliffs, fishing cottages, and unusual architecture, the perfect ‘lost in time’ getaway
- Filey: Traditional seaside resort with sandy beach, lovely promenade, and the best fish and chips in Yorkshire
- Flamborough: Rugged white cliffs create the perfect environment for bird-watching, hiking and sea canoeing. Visit the scenic nature reserve and two ancient lighthouses in this beautiful conservation area
- Whitby: A seaside town with a difference- cobbled lanes, ancient vampire legends and working harbour, as well as cosy taverns and lively bars
- Bridlington: Walk along elegant promenades, sandy beaches and the historic harbour, where you’ll also find quirky seaside entertainment
Britain’s first National Park, home to moorlands, rolling hills and dales, scented meadows and leafy forests. Visit Chatsworth House, Renishaw Hall Gardens and Bolsover Castle. Great for an active holiday with climbing, mountain biking, hiking and horse riding. Best towns in the region: Ashbourne, Matlock Bath, Chesterfield, and Buxton.
Charming and peaceful countryside with glorious chalk hills, postcard-perfect villages and landscaped gardens. Stretches west from Flamborough to Malton then south to Humber Bridge. Walk around Sledmere House and Sewerby Hall, or walk along the Wolds Way National Trail (maybe not all 79 miles though!). Wold Edge lodge accommodation is the perfect place to stay, with local owners who share their knowledge for a hassle free stay. Best towns in the region: Howden, Hedon, Pocklington, Driffield and Beverley.
Next week we’ll be talking about the amazing towns and cities in Yorkshire!