Today we have the second part of our Affordable Rent Scheme guide by our Lettings Administrator Ellie, giving you tips on the application process and answering frequently asked questions.
- Read the eligibility criteria through carefully. You will only be able to apply for properties available on the Affordable Rent Scheme if you meet all of the criteria listed on the advert.
- Make sure you select the scheme, housing association and development name when filling out the application form. We will not be able to see your application on our systems if you do not select the correct scheme, housing association or development name on the first page of the application form. This information is available on the advert, listed below the link to the online application.
- Provide as much detail as you can when filling out the online application form, including the address of your employer and your income. If you work for a company which has a head office elsewhere please provide details of the local branch where you work. There is also an ‘Additional Information’ section on the application, and any information you feel we need to consider should be listed there.
- Please be patient. We know there’s nothing worse than waiting, but many of the properties we offer are extremely popular and we usually receive a number of application forms. We want to make sure we give all the applications our full consideration and, as you can appreciate, this takes time. You will hear back as to whether you have been allocated the property or not, but we cannot give a set time for when this might be.
- If you are eligible, keep applying! You may not be successful this time round but we do offer a number of both new build and re-let properties which are all advertised on www.spaceproperty.co.uk
Can I apply if I’m in receipt of Housing Benefit?
We can accept Housing Benefit but we cannot take it into consideration when assessing your household income.
Can I apply if I’m a student?
Undergraduate and postgraduate students are not eligible to apply for this scheme as you need to be in permanent employment with a taxable income to be eligible.
Can I view the property?
Viewings are only offered once all the applications have been reviewed and the property is allocated. If you are allocated the property, you will be offered a viewing and after this you will need to pay a reservation fee which covers the cost of the credit check.
Is there a fee to apply?
There is no fee for filling out an application form online but, if you are allocated and after viewing wish to reserve it, you will need to pay a reservation fee of £170 (single applicant) or £220 (joint applicants). This fee covers the cost of the credit check and admin costs.
Will I hear if I haven’t been allocated the property?
We will email you to let you know the outcome of your application, even if you haven’t been allocated the property this time.